Friday, July 2, 2010

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Photobucket
So I was a bit hesitant to read this book. I mean for one the beginning takes place in Afghanistan in like the 1970's. Would I EVER relate to that? of course not. But I gave it a chance and OH MY GAWD everybody and their moma has to read this now... It is one of those "hard to swallow" type of stories.. I had to put it down from time to time because it really was too had to bare at time, it made me sad and made me cry as well. It's about a rich afgan boy (Amir) and his story with his best friend and loyal servant (Hassan) Amir moves to America and like 20+ years later goes back to the middle east because he is told to. .....sounds lame but trust me its not!

NOTES AFTER READING:
Hossein is not one to sugar coat his stories. If you try to skim through the chapters you are going to miss something very important. And even though the story is so raw it will fill you up with emotion (that's when I had to put it down) but you have to know what happens next so you take a deep breath and keep reading. I had a mix of emotions for Amir the main character. At first I thought this kid is great he is friends with his servant Hassan, I mean what a great guy right? Well that is until the climax of the story. The part that changes EVERYTHING. Gawd did he piss me off it was hard to forgive him after that. I also expected him to throw himself at the chance to save Sohrab but noo he was forced. He was such a disappointment, but that just made me want the best for little Sohrab.

TIPS WHILE READING:
Try to remember every bodies name through out the story each name is as important as the next. And will all pretty much come up.

NOVEL VS FILM:
Photobucket
Movie ssssssuuuuuuxxxxxxxxxx gawd that movie sucked I mean I understand that not everything that is in a 400 page book can fit in an hour and a half movie but geez seriously?! If I was just watching the movie I would be so confused and lost after like 30 mins! They don't explain and they miss out a lot.. so if you have seen the movie before the book don't let it discourage you from great literature.

Vanessa gives this book 5 stars!

2 comments:

  1. I've heard such amazing things about this book. I'll pick it up next time I'm feeling 'deep'. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was actually one of my summer readings during high school. I must say, it was the best summer reading EVER!! The only one I actually enjoyed. Though I must agree, movie sucked.

    xoxo
    http://candy-apples.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete