Monday, March 29, 2010

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

So I picked up this book because I heard that it was about wolves, and being Team Jacob I figured I would finally get the story I wanted out of Twilight. While this book is about wolves & love that's pretty much where the similarities end. This book is written in two different voices - Grace & Sam, which to me I find really helpful because it fills in all of the gaps the other voice didn't mention.

At the beginning of the story Grace is obsessed with the wolves that she sees in her backyard, especially one that had saved her during an attack when she was young. She finally gets a chance to make contact with him after he has been shot, only to find out that her wolf is really a werewolf! In his human form his name is Sam and her many years of obsessing over this wolf blossom into everything she hoped it would be.

Unlike most wolf stories though, Sam does not turn into a wolf only during times of a full moon. Sam was bitten by a wolf when he was young & every winter since then he has transformed into a wolf. The cold is what triggers the change for Sam, but as most wolves get older they stop changing back into their human form when Spring comes.

I could NOT put this book down, I had to know what happened next. The story does focus more on the romance between Sam & Grace, but there are detailed wolf scenes that make this book a little less love story-ish. I really enjoyed the writing style, Sam's character often describes his feelings for Grace in short poetry, which I LOVED. While this book is geared towards young adults I really do think the writing makes it enjoyable for everyone.

Now the real question is -

Will Grace & Sam's love be able to overcome Sam's permanent wolf transformation?

Read & find out!   ;)

2 comments:

  1. Whoa...gotta go grab this book now! Thanks for this post, I'm a huge fan of reading.

    http://babyfabzmom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! I need to get my hands on this book asap and read it already! Sounds so awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete