Friday, December 18, 2009

The Rum Diary by Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Photobucket
So I JUST read this book and hmm I'm not sure how I feel about it.

It is an exciting story to say the least, Paul Kemp is a journalist who has been writing in New York and Europe and has now found himself writing for the only English newspaper in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
White boy in Puerto Rico, yes it means exotic places and people for the guy.
#1 He likes to drink .... A LOT.. hints why its the RUM diary.
#2 The people he meets (other Americans) are effin crazy! Drunks, Pervs, Angry and even abusers!
#3 Apparently people who come from the good 'Ol U.S of A don't really stay to long in Puerto Rico, the natives don't care much for them or their lame newspaper, they are quiet violent toward them as well.
#4 There is quiet a lot of adventure i suppose? Its like he doesn't do much, but so much happens lol
#5 The ending = lame!!! I thought it would have been cooler if he got rich, died, or ran off w this one chic he has been digging since like page 2.

I give it 3.5 stars for making me want to know what happens next.... but the ending was a total loss, in my opinions of course.

*This will be made in to a movie w Johnny Depp playing the role of none other than Paul Kemp*
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson is an amazing writer none the less, I felt like Paul Kemp was a real guy and these were truly his feelings. I could almost hear him telling me his story, and wanting to know what happens in the next chapter, and the next and the next....
I say if you find this on sale or at some used book store grab it! If your a Depp fan, read it and compare to the movie :)

Book info:
$14
204 pages
1998

No comments:

Post a Comment